03/26/2022 “Reasons Why I’m Still Wearing a Mask and Possibly You Should Too” By Kaylee McGrath
As the rollercoaster ride continues with the COVID-19 virus, Delta, Omicron Variant and the new highly transmissible Omicron subvariant known as BA.2, I am still being very cautious because the strength of the Coronavirus and the variants are still with us. Yes, the virus itself has shown us several times that the number of infections and deaths go down for a few weeks, then it goes up again when a new variant emerges, like the BA.2 now spreading fast in the UK. There have been several reports that indicate what variants spread quickly in the UK for some reason travel to the United States rather quickly.
With all of the concern stated above, I still wear a mask while shopping at the mall, grocery store, restaurants, public bathrooms, and going to the doctor/drugstore. I feel safe enough not to mask up outside. If you have not done so already, please get vaccinated and boosted as soon as possible. It is just not for your safety but for others around you.
Listed below are five (5) reasons why you should still use a mask even though currently New Jersey has lifted the mask mandate:
1. If you have compromised immunity, for example, or live with someone who does, it’s a good idea to continue to wear a mask and maintain social distance around strangers, especially in indoor areas with standing air where the virus may collect
2. Masks are also important if you’re unvaccinated or spending time with others who are unvaccinated. It’s a fact that unvaccinated people are at overwhelmingly higher risk of hospitalization and death from Covid-19
3. Buses and subways, there are a lot of strangers moving in and out of a tight and enclosed space
4. If you are around children who have not been vaccinated or too young to be vaccinated
5. If you are sick, you definitely should wear a mask
My new rule that I practice is:
1. When I’m not sure of safe surroundings, its simple, I wear a mask
2. I don’t care what other people think, or if I get people staring at me if I’m wearing a mask It’s your problem if you think I look silly
3. Remember, everyone still needs to wash their hands frequently and use social distancing if you’re not sure of the people around you or in very crowded areas
We can do this…. get vaccinated, get boosted, wear a mask in crowded and not well-ventilated indoor areas! When in doubt, mask up, it can and will save your life and others.
Until Next Time, Stay Safe and Well!